We made giraffe sock puppets! Pretty good use of a yellow sock, if you ask me.
- Cotton Socks (I actually dyed them yellow, using dye from the fabric store. NOTE: socks must be mostly cotton to take the dye)
- Felt (brown and yellow)
- Acrylic craft paint (brown) and paint brush
- Googly eyes
- Scissors and hot glue to assemble
1. Cut out long strips of brown felt (about two-thirds the length of your sock) and snip along one side to create a fringe. This will be the mane. You’ll find making two per sock puppet is easier to glue on. If you want a thicker mane, sandwich a third strip of fringed felt between the two that will attach to the sock.
2. Cut out ears and eye lids from yellow felt.
3. Stretch sock over a water bottle so it’s easier to work with. Paint on spots.
4. Once spots are dry, glue on mane, ears, eyes, and eye lids. Hint: pinch the ears together at the bottom when gluing, to help them stand erect.